Monday, November 6, 2017

Where's my EZPASS when I need it?

I was driving a rental car from Pittsburgh, PA to Wellsburg, WV, when I came upon a toll plaza.  Not having an EZPASS in the rental car, I went to the cash lane, only to find it unattended.  I had already passed the sign that indicated the amount of the toll, so I didn't even know how much to pay, and I didn't have any change anyway.  However, there was a bill slot that invited the motorist to insert a $1 or a $5.  I didn't have a $1, but I did have the $5, so I fed it into the slot. 

I think this toll used to be a slot machine in a former electronic life, because it reacted like I pulled 3 cherries. The toll (which was apparently 25 cents, was generating 19 quarters in change, which dropped into the little metal cup.  Kerching!, Kerching!, Kerching! 

Eventually the dinging stopped, and I tried to extract all 19 quarters from the cup.  Of course half of them fell on the pavement, so I had to open my door hop out, and start to fish around on the curb, under the car, etc.  By now a line of cars had formed behind me.  Let me tell you - if midwestern politeness exists, it wasn't on that highway.  People were beeping, flashing headlights.  Finally I stood up and shouted, "HEY, BE HAPPY FOR ME.  I JUST WON HERE!"

No comments: